Friday, November 4, 2011

Baked Jalapeno Poppers

Okay I took on a not-so-normal food challenge. I have only had jalapeno poppers like twice in my life, and although I don't eat a lot of spicy food, I love a good popper! It's all about the hot cream cheese I think! Jalapenos were on sale this week and since Tim doesn't really like them I made a batch for my church's Ladies Bunco Night tonight.

I only accomplished making one pan. These are exhausting! You have to cut, mix, stuff, batter, bake. So only do this if you're really feeling it. But they are so much fun to eat! A great party food for sure. I made mine smaller because I didn't buy as many jalapenos so it would be the same work to do a double batch with more jalapenos cut into larger slices.

I based my recipe on Emeril's.

I thought it would be more fun to have the jalapenos in a loop instead of a boat half so I cut into thirds and hollowed out with the end of my potato peeler. If you have a baby spoon around like me that's a great way to stuff the loops.


My cheese mixture was:
cream cheese
mozzarella cheese
cumin
chili powder


Wow it's awesome all baked together!

batter them up with
flour
eggs and a little milk
panko crumbs seasoned with your favorites

Bake 350* for 30 minutes or so.


And you, my friend, have a popper! If I can do it, so can you!

P.S. The jalapeno will sting your hands, eyes, nose, etc. So you need to be a little careful if you are a pepper virgin like me. Maybe that is why Emeril and Co. used the boat method, so that you don't have to touch the seeds much with your hands (and the panko stuck well to the thick cheese filling). So if you want to follow their lead I won't be offended.


No comments:

Post a Comment