Saturday, October 15, 2011

Teeny Tostadas & Left-over Burritos

My mom bought tostada pans a while back. I love a good tostada-opposite-salad (you know, mainly beans and meat with lettuce as the accessory). But guess what, I don't have the money or the space for more pans! So I started making mini flour tostadas in my muffin tin. Yes. I'm totally white. This is totally white Mexian food. It may sound crazy but putting the typical family burrito in a crispy little shell makes it taste richer! Try it!

Tonight's burrito filling wasn't great as I still need to go shopping and money is tight. A can of chicken breast (I scored this free from my mom), black beans, corn, and fajita seasoning. I'd rather use refried beans and beef or black beans and chicken not from a can plus burrito or taco seasoning. You know what your family likes; do that.

I'm sure somebody made these up before me, it's not rocket science, but this is what I figured out in my kitchen:


I cut my shell (large or small) in half with an "s" shape. Then I wrap it like a cone and fold the bottom over. It doesn't need to be perfect, just fold it up and mush it into the tin gently.


Then you want to spray it or brush it with some oil and bake it for a few minutes until the edges are brown and the shell keeps a crisp, nice form.

Fill them up and top them with veggies, cheese, and sour cream. Serve 2 large or 4 small tostadas per adult.

WARNING: Although these look beautiful, this is not a date food. It's a bit messy. Do not overfill.

_________________ wanna make another? ______________

When I make mexican these days I always make double filling because I can get a quick free dinner out of it in 5 minutes. I have two jobs and two kids, I'm not cooking every night!


My Aunt Renee taught me all about the baked burrito. Fill a shell and wrap - both sides in first, flap one side in, and roll over onto itself so the flap is sealed by the weight of the burrito. I line up three in a glass pan and throw red sauce and cheese on top. Now this goes in the freezer and comes out a few days later. Defrost and bake for a new Mexican arrangement! Add sour cream and fresh veggies after it comes out of the oven.

Have fun with this white-Mexican, non-recipe - and don't forget a sprinkle of lime juice!



2 comments:

  1. Cute! I've made full-size tostadas by putting a whole large tortilla between two lightly oiled class nesting bowls and baking. Love the mini muffin size! Thanks for sharing. :)
    Your new blog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment! Yessss! Thanks Jenni!! Good tip too!

    ReplyDelete