Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cake Boss Shortcake

I love to sit down and watch Rachel Ray after I pick up G Boy from school. But do you think with a 1 year old and a 5 year old I get to watch the whole show? Not on your life. Another reason I don't follow recipes. But last week I caught the end of Cake Boss on Rachel making a fabulous shortcake cake. I was already 6 days late to make Tim's birthday cake so I figured this was a sign! Here's how I didn't follow the recipe:

Lemon cake mix made into 6 cup cakes and 1 circle layer cake
2 packs of raspberries sugared (raspberries were on sale, strawberries were not)

most of a large heavy whipping cream carton
maybe 1/4 cup of powdered sugar added to the cream
whip in a cold metal bowl
put in a ziplock and cut the tip for a pastry bag

I'm not a fabulous baker so when I make a cake for a birthday I have to borrow a circle pan (I only own one) and then I try to cut the tops off and stack them nicely but it turns into a giant cake (usually tilted) and I can't finish eating it without feeling guilty I ate it or guilty I didn't eat it. So this time I went with the single pan! I cut that one cake in half. I flipped the top upside down on a plate (the top bubble fit right into the plate's curve) added my own whipped cream and lots of berries and repeat. Oh yeah. That makes a cake people!


And maybe you know you're supposed to cut parchment paper in a circle to line the bottom of your cake pan, but I didn't have parchment (I really need to get some this is like the 5th time this has happened) so I used foil. It worked.

I know it's not so much summertime anymore but if you find some berries MAKE THIS.


No comments:

Post a Comment