Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Spanish Style Ham and Eggs

I'm admitting it.... I can't do it.... I can't follow a recipe.

I can't help but think I can do it without going to the store. And plus, I usually add more cheese.

Enter my new blog: The Recipe Killer. Here you'll see my floundering knock offs of Rachel Ray, magazines, and more - creations by a mom that has little money, little time, and most of the time makes two dinners a night (because moms that don't eat all day and stay up until midnight need second dinner) (and so do dads who are in grave danger of weighing less then their wives).

Creation of the day: Spanish Style Ham and Eggs by Rachel Ray
(2nd dinner)


Rachel's Ingredients

  • 2 starchy potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • Salt and pepper
  • A sprinkle of paprika
  • 1 cup shredded young Manchego cheese
  • A small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 4 hand-cut pieces of country/peasant bread
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
  • 4 organic eggs
  • 2 grapefruit or oranges, halved and sectioned
  • A drizzle of honey
  • A pinch of cinnamon
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 overly ripe tomato, cut in half
  • 4 slices Serrano ham


My Ingredients

the rest of the potato flakes
  • milk, butter, and salt to taste
  • two pieces of sandwich sourdough bread
  • two eggs
  • onion flakes
  • garlic powder
  • shredded sharp cheddar for potatoes
  • (no ham, because lunch meat was just not going to cut it!)

  • It took me 10 minutes because our toaster oven just blew its top burner today and I didn't put in the bread until last (I'm so not a line cook).

We've been in such a rut lately in the the kitchen (especially with our new tiny budget). What's for dinner?....burritos or pasta....pasta or burritos? I would have never thought of making something like this, and my knock off wasn't bad! Tim didn't leave a crumb and gave it an 8. I'll take it!
(sorry it's half eaten - I didn't know it was blog-worthy when I started)

No comments:

Post a Comment