Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Red Beet Smoothies

Hey green smoothie people, have you ever gone red? Try a beet smoothie!


I've done it before, but this time I learned (from The Chew maybe) that you can use the beet leaves too. I didn't know! It all looks so gross I thought I was doing well just eating the beet! I bought these three for $1.50 a bunch.

Wash,
cut the top and bottom off the beet,
peel,
and quarter.
Toss in the raw cut beet and the greens.

I also added:
a cup of yogurt
5 ice cubes
1 table spoon of honey
4 table spoons of lime juice
1 apple cut in fours
(leave the seeds)
4 baby carrots
1+ cups of apple juice

This recipe doesn't hide the beet flavor so you need to like beets at least a little. When I asked G boy if he liked the green or the red better he couldn't tell me as he was gulping it down.

WARNING: Don't serve when the family is all wearing white! My blender makes extra froth on this one where a Vita-Mix would emulsify it better.

I found this website with some great healthy recipes, including a beet plum smoothie. The plum should help with the beet flavor if you need to mask it. I say if the kids can handle it the parents should too...


This website is great to find some nutritional info on your veggies.

Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment